The start of the new year is often a time for reflections and resolutions. For us at Borealis, reflecting on 2018 has reinforced our resolutions for the year ahead: we need to trust and resource communities impacted by injustice and inequity to lead innovative organizing that will win freedom for all of us.
Read our year in review for more of our learnings and commitments, snapshots of our funds and the powerful work they supported, and a closer look at Borealis’ grantmaking in 2018.
Looking back on 2018 has also reminded us of the growth last year brought for Borealis. We launched two new funds, had our biggest grantmaking year to date ($25 million), and welcomed six new team members:
- Criminal Justice Reform Initiatives
- Jennel Nesbitt as our Program Associate for Criminal Justice Reform Initiatives
- Katayoon Majd as our Director of Criminal Justice Reform Initiatives
- Racial Equity Initiatives
- Kristell Caballero Saucedo as our Senior Program Associate for Racial Equity Initiatives
- Marcus Walton as our Director of Racial Equity Initiatives
- Maya Thornell-Sandifor as our Associate Director of Racial Equity Initiatives
- Truc Anh Kieu as our Program Assistant for Racial Equity Initiatives
We are glad to have a strong team to help us continue to fulfill our mission of expanding donors’ reach and impact by getting their resources where they are most needed, and most lacking.
Thank you for your continued partnership—we hope you will take a look back at 2018 with us to learn more about the victories and organizing we helped support, our funds and grantees, and what’s next for Borealis.