Dear Borealis community,
When I joined Borealis one year ago, I stepped into an organization that was clear about its focus: to resource movements working for transformational change, including queer and trans liberation, disability justice, and racial equity. As we will share in the coming weeks in our annual report, 2021 was an incredibly impactful year for our communities. This work would not be possible without the brilliance of our grantee partners. It would also not be possible without our internal partners, Borealis staff members, who bring their lived experiences and wisdom to support, sustain, and build this work forward every day.
Joining me as new staff members in this year of growth were eight additional people, as well as four colleagues promoted to new roles, all growing the individual and collective expertise of our team and the movements they support. Our new colleagues include a celebrated author, a media reparations vanguard, a groundbreaking podcaster, and community organizers with decades of combined experience. We wanted to pause for a moment to welcome and celebrate these incredible internal partners.
Borealis is not done building the team we need to scale up our work and impact. I hope you’ll explore our Careers page, or see the descriptions below.
Welcome, new colleagues!
Borealis welcomed new team members into the following roles:
- Executive Assistant
- Director of Operations
- Racial Equity Initiatives Program Director
- Racial Equity in Journalism Program Associate
- Disability Inclusion Fund Program Director
- Racial Equity in Journalism Program Director
- Black-Led Movement Fund Program Officer
- Communications Associate
In addition to new staff members, we also welcomed incredible new board members in 2021 – get to know them here.
Congrats on new roles!
Four members of the Borealis team were promoted into the following positions:
- Communities Transforming Policing Fund Program Director
- Communities Transforming Policing Fund Program Officer
- Director of Programs
- Director of Development/ Interim Director of Communications
Join our growing team!
We are still searching for new team members to lead the following work. These are the current posted positions but check back regularly as we will be hiring for other positions across the organization. Learn more about who we are, what we do, and the values that drive us.
- Institutional Giving Officer: The Institutional Giving Officer will build and lead an institutional giving program, supporting Borealis teams in cultivating and stewarding strong relationships with institutional donors, including writing funding proposals and reports.
- Grants Associate: The Grants Associate partners with program teams to administer Borealis’ grantmaking process and ensure grantmaking procedures are being consistently followed, including Salseforce data entry.
- Spark Justice Fund Program Director: The SJF Program Director leads a dedicated program team. The Director develops and implements program strategies, including fundraising, donor engagement/relationships, grantmaking, and capacity building/ technical assistance to grantees, working closely with other Borealis collaborative funds to connect their vision, processes, and strategic direction with the work across the organization as a whole.
- Racial Equity in Journalism Program Officer: The REJ Program Officer leads the design and implementation of programming, grantmaking and other activities for the REJ Fund, providing day-to-day oversight of key program activities, including identifying new potential grantees and supporting existing grantees through networking, direct technical assistance, and connections to additional resources.
- Black-Led Movement Fund Program Associate: The BLMF Program Associate supports programming, administration, grantmaking, and other operational activities for the BMLF. The Program Associate helps correspond to and field inquiries, conducts research on topics for proposals, and helps steward relationships with potential donors and grantees.
Thank you to each of our partners – our staff, our board members, our grantee partners, and everyone else working to bring about a future rooted in dignity and liberation.
President, Borealis Philanthropy