The Immigration Litigation Fund (ILF) is a national funder collaborative whose goal is to ensure that the nation’s immigration enforcement system is fair, humane, and prioritizes the civil and human rights of those vulnerable to deportation. ILF believes that litigation is an essential tool in achieving public policy and social change on immigration issues. The Fund’s grantmaking prioritizes litigation efforts that are connected to, and coordinated with, immigrant communities and organizations.
The fund supports impact litigation efforts that challenge discriminatory, unlawful, and overly punitive immigration enforcement policies and practices at any stage of the enforcement trajectory from identification and apprehension, to detention and removal, as well as efforts to exclude certain immigrants from entering the country.
The ILF provides time-limited, project support for funding needs related to:
- Impact litigation including but not limited to staff time, some organizational overhead (5%), travel, research, filing fees, interpreter and translation costs. Impact litigation must be focused on immigration enforcement issues;
- Convenings meant to advance coordination and strategy on an issue related to impact litigation efforts;
- Legal trainings and training materials on impact litigation related to immigration enforcement related issues;
- Organizing and communications efforts that are related to impact litigation efforts.
Please read the ILF funding priorities page, to learn more about the issues and work the fund supports.
HOW TO APPLY
Organizations interested in funding from the ILF should take the following steps:
- Read the funding priorities;
- Read the ILF FAQs;
- Contact Borealis staff to set up a call to review the project for which you are seeking funding (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- If Borealis staff determine that the project fits within the ILF guidelines, the organization will be instructed to use the online grant portal to submit their application for funding.
How and when can I apply to the ILF?
In 2019, the ILF will have two funding application deadlines: September 1st and November 1st. We have completed the first round of grantmaking. If you are considering applying for the November 1st deadline, you must first speak with a Borealis staff person to discuss your project’s compatibility with the ILF’s funding priorities. To schedule a call, please contact the Borealis staff at email@example.com. You must schedule a call before October 25th. There will likely be another round of grants in 2020, please check the Borealis website for updates in early 2020.
Organizations who are encouraged to apply for funding, after a call with ILF staff, can submit an application through our grant portal.
SUPPORTING THE IMMIGRATION LITIGATION FUND
If you are a foundation or a donor interested in learning about how you can make a contribution to the ILF or become a partner in the fund, please fill out this contact form and our team will get back to you.